Friday, March 27, 2015

T&F READS: 10 Books that Changed My Life...

I have spent my whole career in publishing and now as I look back, I wouldn't want it any other way. Almost everyone has a book inside them. I love books and I am passionate about how books can change our lives.....sometimes with just one sentence or an idea, an insight, an adventure or a story.

Here is a list of some of the books that changed my life in positive ways. It is very much a partial list but I hope it inspires you:

1. Beloved by Toni Morrison
"Something that is loved is never lost."
I read this novel recently and this quote stayed with me and helped me heal. I hope this gem can comfort you too.

2. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
"Those we meet can change us, sometimes so profoundly that we are not the same afterward."
This book is a magical journey and changed the way I see the world. Sometimes people can change us, sometimes a book can.

3. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
"Its our choices Harry that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
I started reading Harry Potter with my daughter Shruti when she was in class four. It got me hooked and started a truly bonding relationship with my daughter. Harry Potter series always binds us together. We have private jokes related to the series, and a lifetime of memories.

4. The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
I love this book and the idea of seeking meaning in your own life. It taught me the difference between seeking and finding, and how we should enjoy the pursuit of our dreams.

5. Wonder by RJ Palacio
"Funny how sometimes you worry a lot about something and it turns out to be nothing."
The book is about fulfilling your dreams and talents and inspires me everyday. It is about not making any excuses in life.

6. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they are felt with the heart"
I read this book in school and it taught me what is valuable in life is invisible like love. And that a certain level of magical thinking is needed for a creative life.

7. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
"Pray to catch the bus and then run as fast as you can."
This book opened me to the flow of creativity and hard work.

8. The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
"Its a shame to waste (the uniqueness that is you), by doing what someone else has done."
This book started me on my spiritual path. I am trying to live my life by this philosophy of 'Follow your Bliss' everyday and am encouraging my daughter to live that way too.

9. The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
"What makes you vulnerable, makes you beautiful."
Brene Brown encouraged me to open myself in a way I had never done before and it is liberating. It's a beautiful gift when a book can encourage you to be just who you are - flaws and all.

10. Consider Harnessing the Power of Reflective Thinking in Your Organisation by Daniel Patrick Forrester
"Only by carving out thinking time and reflection, can we actually understand, in an entirely different context, the actions that we take. 
This book changed the way I approach work. I understand that being busy is not the same as being productive or profitable. In business and in life, the best decisions happen when we take the necessary time to step outside of our day to day routines and reflect on our decisions.

Just one book can change your life. I hope you can find some inspiration from my list. I'd love to know about your favourite books too.

Shafina

No comments: