Wednesday, September 23, 2015

On Behalf of Mother Earth
Tenzing Topzer Bhutia

I remember when I dreamt of giving life to you
Another life added, a special plan I'd devise for you
Your brothers and sisters prancing around, looking on!
I'd made up my mind, I'd put my best in you, Son
So I put a reflection of my essence in your being
Gave you a mind and soul to comprehend; made you a human being.
Thought with all these qualities you would take care of me
Your brothers and sisters don't understand, 
But I hoped you would be there for me
And as you took your first steps, I was so proud to watch you grow
From a position of weakness, you used your mind, increased your potential many-fold.
But as you rose higher, I noticed you were taken over by greed and desire
You started demanding more, asking for much more than you require
Your siblings looked on in horror, and now they're terrified
Of the monster you're becoming, of that lust and greed in your eyes
You tried to unravel and discover me in the name of science and technology
You slowly uncovered me, exploiting everything I have, and called it industry
Look at me now, I'm a shadow of who I was just a few hundred years ago
I used to be beautiful, now I'm just growing bald and filled with smoke and holes


 Like a mother she keeps giving
To an ungrateful child that keeps receiving
Expecting much more and then a little more
Let's ask ourselves....

Will she remain the abused or turn into someone we care for?

No comments: