Today, as I looked at the rising sun from my window, I realized how beautiful light is; whether natural or man made. Is it because we have this light that we do not think about conserving it? Or is it because now it has bacome a habit with us to take things for granted.
I second Sudhanshu's blog about Earth Hour. Let us all, today, 27th March, switch off our lights for an hour at 8.30 pm, whichever part of the world we are in - to show our committment towards the planet and send a strong message on the strength of individual action to tackle climate change. The Earth hour comes both as a beacon of hope and a warning to us. In 2009, global landmarks that switched off in support included the Sphinx and pyramids at Giza, Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Qutab Minar and Red Fort in India.
India Statistics: "Of all sectors, the power sector solely contributes a whopping 50 per cent to India's total carbon emission. Last year, the WWF was was able to encourage saving of around 1200 mega watts of energy in India. Growing environmental threats - most recent devastating earthquakes in Haiti and Chile - have rung alarm for natural resource conservation at all levels.
I strongly feel that since climate change is a situation created by persistent human exploitation, the cure, therefore, lies in a consistent and united human initiative...On my part, I have asked my society to participate in the Earth Hour and make a committment towards responding to climate change. They've all agreed happily, and that has made me very content.
Shafina
2 comments:
I am in for this as a professional & personal front. Just for your information, I have prepared a notice and sending the same to my colony members for this cause. I am sure some of them may forget this, so I am also meeting the Electricity Office to shutdown power between 8:30 to 9:30 pm. JJ
Gopa Kumar
Sure, I was aware of this and I hope all are aware of this and will do the needful for the cause.
Thanks and Regards
Ashish Purwar
Post a Comment