Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Our Delhi


For ages, I have spoken to people visiting our country about Delhi as if I am an expert on the subject. Though I must admit that I have never really bothered to find out about the city where I was born and brought up, and today – make my living in. When you live amidst history, you often begin to take it for granted. Worse, I have often compared Delhi to World class cities and never felt guilty about doing so, until now, about a year and a half ago, when I was caught badly.

This happened to me on a flight back from Thailand. ‘I’ve heard so much about Delhi. I and my girlfriend are visiting Delhi for the first time’, said an over exuburant handsome young man sittting next to me on the Thai Airways flight from Bangkok. He was very attractive and I was hoping to strike up a conversation. So, the moment he said, ‘I’ve heard it’s an ancient city with a magnanamous history’, I replied enthusisitically, ‘Yes, very much’. And because I knew nothing about my ancient city with a magnananmous history, I tried deflecting the subject by saying, ‘Its also very modern like London’. ‘Really, is it!!’ He seemed crestfallen. ‘Oh yes! We are very traditional at heart, yet modern in our outlook’, I replied bravely, not knowing what else to say.'Well, I hope you are wrong', he said.

It was here that the conversation ended. He didn’t talk to me for the rest of the 5 hours. All my opening lines were met with a polite rebuff. The moment I landed in Delhi, I purchased Khuswant Singh’s Delhi and Pawan Verma’s The Millennium Book on New Delhi. And they were sitting in my study ever since.

So, while at home for the last 5 days, recuperating after the operation, I decided to devour whatever I could about my city through these forgotten books. And I must admit that I have read it – actually devoured it – with gratitude and happiness. The internet provided a lot of information too and now I can proudly say that I know how the city got its name, its history, origin and a lot more.

1. Once when the Ganges was in spate, she threw up the shastras. The site is marked by a temple which came to be called Nigambodh.

2. From this spot, the Nigambodh, according to the Indian scriptures, rose the magnificent and opulent Indraprastha, capital of the Pandavas, in the Indian epic Mahabharata, founded around 2500 BC. 

3. In Sanskrit language, Delhi was called Hastinapur, meaning the elephant-city. Archaeological evidence suggests that Indraprastha once stood where the Old Fort is today.

4. The name Delhi may be derived from the word ‘Dhillika’. It is also said that Raja Dhilu (King Dihlu) founded ancient Delhi in 800 BC.

5. Some scholars also connect the name Delhi, as pronounced by the literati, to the famous iron pillar close to qutub minar. 

6. The modern city contains the remnants of several successive ancient cities including: Indraprastha, Dhilli, Lal Kot, Siri, Tughluqabad, Jahanpanah, Feroz Shah Kotla, Puran Qila, Shahjahanabad, Lutyen’s Delhi and Modern Delhi. 

7. Delhi was the focal point for the first war of independence in 1857. Though the revolt did not reach its desired conclusion, Delhi became a thorn in the eyes of the British. 

8. The ultimate goal of the Azad Hind Fauz during the freedom struggle was to capture Delhi and established Swaraj. The slogan 'Dilli Chalo' is still used by leaders and political parties when they oraganise any rally or demonstration. It was the hosting of the tricolour at Red Fort in Delhi which marked a chapter in the history of India.

And I have also learnt the names of all the monuments of historic significance in Delhi. I am sure I’d be able to strike a decent conversation next time with a handsome young man with ease. Afterall, Attithi Devo Bhaya!!

Shafina

No comments: