Thursday, January 14, 2010

Marketing - What exactly is it?

Some interesting old memories come gushing to my mind when I read the word MARKETING. It rattles the minds of many as to what exactly marketing is. Is it just the way to inform the customers about a certain product? When I was a kid, there was an ad of Complan which had a punch line “I’m a Complan Boy.” The ad stated that if you drink Complan you grow faster and have an edge over others. I was fascinated by the idea it presented and drank lots of it and used to measure my height with my friends daily at school but to my dismay I was still on the shorter side. Now when I think of it I realize that it was a very effective marketing policy that the company had formulated and was successful in selling its product. This proves the power of marketing and how it plays an important role in any form of business. I remember someone saying that “A product without proper marketing is like winking at a girl in the dark without anyone knowing but yet you are doing it.”

Marketing is an art of presenting any product as the best, like for example a scooter ad shown below:

The Cheapest and the Most Fuel Efficient Scooter of the World

Available in following options:

a) Kick Start
b) Electric Start

1. 150 CC Speed + we can increase speed by pedaling
2. Air Conditioner System
3. Leg break System as like Disc break in Pulsar
4. Without doubt it's going to win "Best Bike Of the Year 2010"



The reality may be different but you have to present the product for the customers as if it is meant for the chosen few. Thus, the art of marketing is really tough and to master this art is no piece of cake.

Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read.

Another art of marketing is presenting the product in a unique manner to make it appear special and selling it to people even if they don’t need it. As we all know life is a rollercoaster ride with many ups and downs, ads today make this ride a little smoother with its own creativity and fun, bringing a smile to our faces.





I know our marketing team is very efficient and provides our customers with the best of services and will continue to do so.
Wishing all our colleagues all the best in the years to come and hoping that each department gives in their best for the success of Taylor & Francis.

Regards,

Nigel

No comments: